Architecture of the Harris-Lass House
1) Historic Resources Inventory, Part C
City of Santa Clara Planning Department, August, 1981
Architectural style: Italianate.
Physical description at time of survey:
1889 Market Street is a very large, wooden 2 story structure constructed on a rectangular plan with a side/rear rectangular addition and an opposite side rectangular, single-story enclosed porch. The main structure is designed in the Italianate style with a truncated, low hipped roof which is punctuated by 4 pedimental-shaped gablets. Composition shingles sheath the roof. The deeply projecting eaves are ornamented by a row of dentils and corner brackets. Narrow ship lap siding sheaths the structure. Fenestration is double hung with corniced window heads. The second story windows have segmental arched tops. The east façade has a squared portico, supported by twin square wooden columns and like colonettes. A balustrade crowns the portico which covers a handsome round-arched entry door with fan light. The rear is marked by a projecting angled bay. The rear addition is a simple gabled wing with wide ship lap siding. A low hipped roof, screened porch extends from the street facing side of the house. The house sits on one of the largest residential lots left in the old quad area of the City. Approx. property size (in feet): Frontage: 220; Depth: 350.
2) Santa Clara Historic Home Tour 2003 Booklet:
Architectural style: Italianate, c. 1865
Note: Italiante style features: two or three stories; low pitched roof with wide overhanging eaves with decorative brackets beneath; and tall narrow windows commonly arched or curved above and frequently with elaborated crowns, usually of inverted U shape.
Constructed prior to the continuation of Market Street, the earliest reference to this site is found in the J.J. Bowen 1866 Survey of Santa Clara, with a house, barn, and orchard noted as “improvements” to the property. Narrow ship lap siding sheathes the structure with a truncated low hipped roof punctuated by four pedimental-shaped gablets. The deeply projecting eaves are ornamented by a row of dentils and corner brackets. The east façade has a squared portico supported by twin square columns. A balustrade crowns the portico which covers a handsome round arched entry door with a fan light. The interior, which has been restored to represent the period of Captain Lass’ occupancy, features a striking double parlor. Albert Harris’ bank safe may be seen in the basement of the house.